Friday, March 23, 2007

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not."- Dr. Seuss (the lorax)

First off Happy Birthday Chris.
Second, Happy Anniversary Will (but you might want to wait till the anniversary blog is posted later today)

And on to the blog...

I dont get it. I've lived in my apt for three years now but I try and be good about who i give my address and land line (before i cancelled it). And rarely give out my cell phone number.

Somehow I now get address stickers for every organization possible like the animal rescue league. I get multiple (three or more) copies of every J.Crew catalogue, I get multiple copies of every Victoria's Secret catalogue, and many other mail items addressed to ME at MY appartment...not just "resident". How can I get off these lists????? This seems like a huge waste of paper.

Since I worked at/attended an environmental confrence sophmore year of college (back when Brittany and others dubed me the "eco-warrior with a kate spade bag") I've been on multiple E-Mail lists for various issues. The one most important to me being one calling for the manditory labeling of GMO's (genetically modified organisims) and cloned foods ...but thats an entirely different blog. The email list that has to do with this is an entire campaign thats been going on for at least 6 years now is solely dedicated to being Anti-Victoria's Secret's Catalogue. Evidently victoria's secret mails out more than 1 MILLION catalogues a day. Now I like my vicki's as much as the next person, but is this really necisary?

Seriously though, I've done nothing but exist for three years and somehow I've managed to accumulate pounds of mail to be trashed EVERY DAY. And the worst part is I dont know how to stop it.

The anti victoria's secret campaign has made some progress through its existance, but what about J.Crew or that random valu-pack cupon sheet or envelope that I throw out daily? Are these companies really making a huge profit from that method of advertisement that its worth wasting that much? and why doesnt my building support a legit recycling program so that I can do something with this paper? does such a program even exist for glossy and colored paper?

That is my rant of the day. And if you have any suggestions or would like to discuss this with me please feel free.

(also somehow I just started getting emails about making the music industry more eco-friendly through the 124 BILLION dollar music packaging industry...I have a new appreciation for warner music but this is a whole new issue...maybe I'll blog about it after I learn more)

3 comments:

LG said...

I bet the music packaging industry has considerable cut back given the prevalence of MP3's and I-tunes album purchases rather than actual discs/cassettes/records.

Anonymous said...

at least if you are going to be an eco-warrior, don't dress like one! I was so surprised to get a shout out (that is unless you knew tons of other brittanys sophmore year.

Rachel said...

of course its you :) who else would call me an eco-warrior! ;)