Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Engrish

The three people i am surrounded by the most at work speak English as their second language. actually I'm not sure one of them speaks English as any language...but that's a different issue.

One of them recently had a conversation with me where I wasn't sure what he was saying so i was smiling and nodding and before I knew it I had agreed to go out to dinner with him tonight (not a date, he just wanted to thank me for helping him)...so I guess if i cant avoid him today I'll be at some Indian restaurant in the greenbelt area tonight...so if you want to drop by and jump in to make things less awkward that would be greatly appreciated. I'll buy you dinner in exchange for saving me.

Also my office mate takes about a million personal phone calls a day. I can tell they are personal because they are not in English. What always amuses me though is what words he says that don't translate. It will be like "blah blah blah GREENBELT blah blah blah". The other day he was giving someone directions here though and what I don't understand is why "193" was still in English...doesn't his language have words for numbers?

Lastly the one that I'm not sure speaks English as any language talked at me for like 20 min today and i had NO clue what she said. ZERO. then she'd start laughing so i figured it was my cue to laugh so I'd chuckle, but what i did manage to pick out of conversation is that the commie Russians are stealing her ideas! maybe someone should tell her the cold war is over and Russia is not communist anymore.....

I need a new office :(

0 comments: