Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Elevators are probably the most awkward invention

Probably the most awkward times of the day are the elevator rides. I take a minimum of 4 a day (coming and going in my apt and coming and going at my office) sometimes i throw in a few more for lunch or random car runs etc.

Both in my apt and my office building I've started recognizing a number of people so we do the awkward nod hi and then just stand there in silence or chatting about the weather for the next awkward 13 or 7 floors. We only know each other from seeing each other so often, but rarely exchange names or any other personal information that would allow for a lengthy and not awkward conversation.

In my apt there is the added awkwardness of somewhat knowing people from GW, like the guy that I played soccer with, but never had a full conversation with until we were trapped inside the moving box that is the elevator.

On Grey's Anatomy they glamorize this awkward phenomenon with sexually charged stares and key moments in the show. WHY CANT THIS EVER HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE? Sure I frequently get on the elevator at work with "hottie" or "tepid", but I think the closest we've come to any interaction is someone saying something like "well at least its friday"---smooth, real smooth.

Also at work there are a bunch of doctors offices on other floors, mainly ob/gyn and geriatrics which means that i get on these moving death traps with only old people and preggos...if saved by the bell taught me anything its never get on an elevator with a pregnant lady because she will go into labor.

And as a side note i read that In 1998, in the United States, it was reported that of the estimated 120 billion rides per year in the approximately 600,000 elevators in the U.S., 10,000 people wound up in the emergency room because of elevator-related accidents---statistically thats a small amount, but really thats a lot more than i expected!

1 comments:

LG said...

1. I have been on several "Grey's Anatomy" elevator rides.

2. We did an entire day on "elevators" in my psychology class in college.

3. I was unwittingly a part of an elevator social experiment for someone else psychology experiment- there was this person passed out in an elevator and they were doing an experiment to see if anyone would help the person. Apparently, out of like 15 people I was the only one who helped.

Elevators are vectors for daily experiments in awkward human interaction. And you know how I LOVE awkwardness.