Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Friendship is born at that moment when-

-one person says to another: "What! You, too? Thought I was the only one."-C.S. Lewis

Gmail's new chat feature is both awesome and terrible. At any given point I have anywhere between 15-20 "friends" that are active on gmail chat (not to mention my non gmail friends that email me). As with anything Gchaters fall into two groups, the good and the bad.

Good Gchaters are those people that im you when they actually have something to say. Whether it be a funny anicdote, or just a point that needs to be addressed asap. For example Jim will IM me to arrange meeting up for lunch, or Leslie will IM me to chat about our group email chains.

Bad Gchaters come in many forms. First is the type that IMs you just for the hell of it, they have nothing to say and are bored at work and dont realize that I'm at work too. The conversation will go back and forth for a while with one word answers till they realize this conversation is pointless, and I stop responding. Another type is the one that will leave mid convo and doesnt say so much as brb or hold on, and they never get back to you. Chris Shields is big on this, he'll start a conversation and then just leave! But i've learned to deal, he's been doing this as long as I know him(with aim too), and Jennilee and I got on his case once about it, so he knows he does it.

Gchat also allows for thier form of "away messages" I try and make mine either amusing or stating where I am at that moment, but I change it frequently. Katie Tilley is good at changing hers with amusing links daily. Some people never change thiers for example like when Diana left that she was on the west coast for like 2 weeks after she got back. Change your away messages people!

Lastly Green, Red, Orange dots...Clearly you cant help the orange dot which is good...but dont abuse the Red dot. Some people just leave it red all the time to pretend to be busy, but this ruins it for everyone. When I put mine on Red its because I am truly busy, but since you people have abused this I still get imed....although I must admit I too im people with the red dot.

For now that is all I have to say about gmail's gchat.

5 comments:

LG said...

I am serious about my red dot, even though it's on all the time.

I've come up with a solution for work getting in the way of my G-Chatting though. I am going to hire a dictator (dictionist? "dictator" doesn't sound right) and have them record all of the shit I need to read for work onto a book-on-tape podcast. That way, I can type to you and listen to stuff I should be reading at that same time.

The dictator is the answer to all my problems!

Rachel said...

I think there is a program on the computer that reads stuff aloud...maybe you could implement that.

LG said...

I don't want a robot-sounding dictator. I want a soothing voice to read it. Like James Lipton.

Rachel said...

be amazed b/c this rarely happens that i refrence seinfeld....this is all reminding me of when george pretended to be blind to get the books on tape and ended up with a voice that sounded just like the voice in his head. hmmm i think thats what happened, its been so long since i've seen that episode

Charlotte : ) said...

Wait? You like C.S. Lewis, too?

I guess we're friends!

: )