If any of you have had a restaurant week conversation with me, you know its a difficult experience for me. I have to find the menu in advance and make sure they actually offer a vegetarian option, and that its NOT mushroom.
I called around and found a suitable restaurant. Il mulino. They were supposed to have vegetable minestrone and pesto gnocci. perfect.
We get to the restaurant and they start off by putting a plate of salami on the table. Gross. Next they offer us "fried zuccini" which were just room temperature greasy smooshy things. The brucetta and bread was good though.
The menu arrives and its totally changed!! For the appetizer, while they still offer the minestrone they also offer what looks like an awesome salad with my personal weakness...hearts of palm. I got the salad, but was disappointed because the bed of weeds it was on instead of lettuce was not that enjoyable. Peter still got the minestrone and i tried it and it was awesome.
The main course has had the veggie option switched out with mushroom ravioli!!! BAIT AND SWITCH! THOSE JERKS. Since that was the only vegetarian option i got it. It wasnt even like regular mushroom ravioli, there was no cheese in there, just entirely packed with mushroom bits. GROSS. I hollowed out all the ravioli and are just the pasta shells. it was alright, but certainly not something i'd get again.
The dessert was a weird cheesecake which was alright. I enjoyed the fruit and whipped cream on the plate :)
Lastly they gave us each a glass of grappa. I've never had that before, but it was a raspberry flavored liquor shot. A nice restaurant tradition :)
So in summary, Il mulino might have potential, but thier mushroom ravioli is the worst
Friday, August 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
hahaha. Bait and switch! I don't think I've ever gotten a restaurant week meal that I've enjoyed more than I would a chipotle burrito.
Speaking of Bait and Switch - did you see/hear the NPR story about the fish switcheroos?!
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2009/08/fish_detective_busts_restauran.html
Post a Comment