Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Downside to Email and IM

Usually I am a pretty easy going person and face to face I am fairly non confrontational and will just deal with things. This is not so true over the computer. MANY times in the past few weeks leslie has had to deal with gmail ims from me saying "uh oh, I think i just pissed so and so off".

I guess its just the faceless communication that makes me feel like its ok to speak my mind and not sugar coat things, but I am very harsh on email and IM. Maybe I should cut back on both of those, but that will probably never happen. I'll just type out exactly what I'm thinking and why I am annoyed with you or why I didnt like something else and before I know it I've hit send and its too late to take that back. I dont regret saying it because its probably how I really felt at that moment, but I regret how it makes people react/feel. Clearly the last thing I want to do is pick fights or hurt someone. Email really is an awful thing sometimes.

2 comments:

Charlotte : ) said...

I think the major problem is that there is no sarcasm font. I mean, how is it that no one has thought up bracket - s - bracket yet?

Also, if you think you're mean, I'd hate to know what you think of me.

Or Jessica. (Dum, dum, dum!)

Sarah said...

I'm sure they'll get over it with time... I frequently come across as harsh on those things too.