So i was watching TV the other night and a Kia commercial comes on, and its of a retro, and clearly American boy running to a car factory and the voice over is talking about how the kia factory was a family tradition and that a bunch of his relatives had worked there when he was a kid (possibly longer, i don't remember). So at this point they are implying that Kia's have been made in the US for 50 plus years, THEN the screen flashes a sign that says something to the effect of "Kia: American Made Forever"...ok maybe it didn't say forever, but they are clearly selling the car based on the fact its an American car.
Now I know some about cars, more than some people, less than others...but if there is one thing I do know is that Kia is a South Korean car and only broke onto the American market in recent years. And by recent years i mean the past 10-20 years (closer to 10).
So then I wikipedia'd it Here, and it says that ground was not even broken to build an American factory till 2006!!!! And production did not begin until 2009.
Infact Wikipedia goes on to say that the word "kia" actually means "come up out of asia"
So here is my question to the Kia marketing group....Did you think Americans were that dumb that they wouldn't notice? I am adding this to the growing list of reasons I would never buy a Kia.
Friday, January 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment