Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Food, the good, the bad, and the awesome

As always, NYC has a lot to offer in terms of food.

Friday night for my grandmother's birthday we went to 81 for my grandmother's eighty fifth birthday. The food was great, and they had plenty of vegetarian options. I had the ricotta ravioli, and the cauliflower steak with green beans. Very good. I may try making that on my own.

After dinner the chef Ed Brown gave us a tour of the kitchen. Very cool to see. The most interesting part to me was the meat in pressure sealed containers sitting in low temperature baths of water slowly cooking. If I ate meat I'd go right out and get a pressure machine.

The Bad restaurant, which was really the worst restaurant I've been to in NYC in a long time was China Grill. There was no good vegetarian option, so they made me just a plate of lo mein which came out way too spicy. We also got "crispy spinach" which was too greasy, and a side of wasabi mashed potatoes which was the only good part.

The Awesome food was start to finish my lunch on sat. In Chelsea market Leslie and I split a plate of crudites and a grilled cheese sandwich with figs at the green table, and then walked around the corner to la Madeline for the best macaroons ever. They had every flavor imaginable, and were exactly like the kind you'd buy in paris. I highly recommend going there (instead of magnolia).

0 comments: