Monday, October 18, 2010

Because Todd Requested it

Joe and I went to see the Thermals this weekend. I cant remember if this is my 3rd or 4th time seeing them.

The first opening band was an Irish Band who sang songs in Korean. I am not kidding. Ok so they had English songs too, but the Korean songs are weird right? Joe had looked them up ahead of time and decided their music wasn't very good. At the show however, they didn't sound too bad. We decided that the black cat had all sorts of levels off esp since you couldn't hear any of the stringed instruments through the speakers...evidently this made the band sound better.

The middle band was less than memorable.

Then came the thermals. They were great. As Joe points out their best CD is still The Body The Blood The Machine. Luckily they played a whole bunch of those songs. The entire audience got really into it which is always fun (although to joe's dismay no mosh pit). Evidently they came out with a new CD this sept, so since I did not know it existed I could not listen to it ahead of time. I was very nervous about this b/c who likes to be at a concert where they play all their new stuff, and noone knows it resulting in super low audience energy and possibly Sucky new songs. They only played a few of their new songs, and always announced it before they played it so you'd get in listening mode. I really liked the new songs and am willing to give them a chance to see if they can grow on me (still not as good as TBTBTM). The Drummer, who i think is fairly new, was hilarious. As every song was starting he'd stand up and pump his fist or something to get everyone going. Also he was wearing a shirt with a skeleton on it...always funny.

All in all a great show, and I'd recommend seeing them if you get the chance. Todd, looks like nov 15th they are going to be in san fran!

1 comments:

thestark said...

She delivers! Sounds cool - yeah, their new album just came out... I don't have it yet either, but I like "I Don't Believe You" and "Never Listen to Me". Thanks for checking out that date, I will be marking 11/15 on my calendar!